Here is your complete list to getting ready for the big moving day.
3 Months Before Moving Day
- Sort and purge, don’t waste time and energy taking things you won’t use with you.
- Hold a yard sale or drop off unwanted items in good condition at a local non-profit.
- Call moving companies or read rental van reviews.
- Reserve a moving vehicle and recruit a team of people to help.
Six Weeks Before Moving Day
- Pick up packing supplies: boxes, tape, bubble wrap and permanent markers.
- Take measurements of your new home so you can start mapping out where furniture will be placed.
- If you are currently in an apartment or condo association, make the Leasing office aware of your move-out date.
- Get a list of recommended doctors and dentists in your new community.
- Contact the local Chamber of Commerce to find out community information.
- Look up Census facts about your new city/town.
One Month Before Moving Day
- Begin packing items you won’t need right away. Be sure not to “over pack” a box so that it’s too heavy to lift.
Communicate and notify friends, family, and providers of your moving date and your forwarding address:
- Utilities: Oil, Electricity, Cable, Phone
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Pension Funds and Investment Firms
- Human Resources Department at Workplaces
- Associations and Clubs
- Voter Registration Office
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- School Records & Doctor’s Offices
- Doctor’s Offices
- Give a Forwarding Address
- Change Accounts if needed.
- Contact Credit Card Companies.
- Discuss Changing Needs
- Notify Homeowner’s Agent
- Notify Auto Insurance Agent
- Obtain Records from Doctors
- Obtain Records from Dentist
- Obtain Records from Veterinarian
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Arrange for time off from work and other duties during your moving dates.
- Confirm with family and friends helping you move.
- Confirm moving company.
Two Days Before Moving
- Defrost the freezer: Make sure to empty, clean, and defrost it at least 24 hours before moving day.
- Reconfirm with family and friends helping you move.
- Reconfirm moving company.
- Arrange payment for movers.