8 Ways to Save on Heating and Cooling in Your New Home
Have you been in housing situations where the utility bills just seem to pile up? One great way to save money with your new home is to make decisions that allow it to be energy efficient from the start. Of course, there are added benefits when it comes to the environment and long-term household maintenance as well. There are many options and tips available these days to help you get started.
- Modify your daytime and nighttime thermostat settings to ensure comfort and efficiency.
- Open window blinds and curtains during cold days to warm your house until the sun sets.
- Limit your fireplace usage when it’s very windy or cold in order to avoid drafts of cool air.
- Ask an HVAC professional to inspect your heat and air conditioning systems every 2 years.
- Remember to keep the filters in your systems clean at all times and to replace them often.
- Choose ceiling fans over air conditioning whenever you can to save on operating expenses.
- Shut windows and blinds that face the sun to reduce solar heating and air conditioning use.
- Consider landscaping with trees that provide shade in summer and solar warming in winter.
For more information and helpful resources, please be sure to sign up for our email newsletter.